Thursday, July 24, 2008

Alice and the Tree Frog

Last night I was typing away on the computer and heard Alice's beak bonk against one of the windows in her room next to the office. I didn't think much of it, since sometimes she gets ants in her pants and scratches at the window to get my attention. But as she continued, I realized she wasn't scratching at the window with her feet...she was just bonking it with her bill, which isn't normal. So I poked my head into her room to see what was up.

Alice was standing on her perch in front of the small window in her room. And there was something on the window--not flicked gopher parts either. It was a gray treefrog sticking to the dead center of her window...on the outside! (Mind you, this is on the second floor of the house.)

As I watched, Alice would pull her head backwards for a better look (owls are farsighted just like all of you with arms that are a bit short), then she leaned forward, trying to eat the frog through the window, never quite seeming to figure out why that thing didn't come off the window.

Somehow I don't think my finicky eater would have swallowed it if she had indeed gotten it in her mouth...she probably would have just crunched it, tasted it, spit it out, and pulled her head back to look at it again. But as it went, apparently the tree frog was oblivious to the fact that there was an owl who wanted to eat him.

Needless to say I got a good laugh out of the deal, and Alice had gopher for supper instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment